Prof. Bruno Innocenti
Bruno Innocenti was born in Florence on 4 February 1906.
He studied sculpture under the guidance of Libero Andreotti; later he became his assistant, and on his death he took his chair as professor of sculpture at the Istituto d’Arte of Florence. He held this post until 1975.
From 1925 onwards, he took part in various collective exhibitions both in Italy (Florence, Turin, Milan, the Quadriennali of Rome, and the Biennali of Venice) and abroad (Paris, Nice, Athens, Munich, Vienna, Warsaw, Bucharest, Budapest, Sofia, Sydney, Düsseldorf, New York, and Sudafrica). Between 1925 and 1949, he also held a great number of one-man exhibitions in several Italian cities; the Biennale of Venice of 1938 assigned a room to him.
In 1946, he stayed in New York for about a year, and held a one-man exhibition at the Architectural League; a few years later, a one-man exhibition of works of his was held in New York, at the Metropolitan Museum.
Beginning from the nineteen-fifties, he stopped exhibiting, and devoted himself entirely to sculpture and teaching. He also produced several monumental works: at the Law Courts of Milan; at the location of the “Centrale” of Milan; a series of Crucifixes for the Law Courts of Pisa; the “Assunta” bell for Giotto’s Campanile in Florence; several funerary works in Italy and the USA; and the great statue of Christ the Redeemer in Maratea.
In 1971, he returned to his exhibiting activity, at the Galleria La Gradiva in Florence and in some collective exhibitions in France. He also took part in the Bronzetto Exhibition in Padua.
In 1985, the Accademia delle Arti del Disegno of Florence, of which he was a lifelong member, organised a one-man exhibition of drawings and sculptures of his.
After his death, which took place in Florence in 1986, several works of his took part in the exhibition “Tridente Tre” at the Galleria dell’Oca.
The Gabinetto Disegni e Stampe of the Uffizi Gallery, to which he had donated about nine hundred drawings made by him in the nineteen-twenties, organised a one-man exhibition of drawings and sculptures of his in 1991.
A great frieze, Apollo e le Muse, which he had made in 1933 for the proscenium of the Teatro Comunale of Florence, was recently restored and placed in the foyer of the theatre.
During the last few years, works of his have taken part in exhibitions in Milan, Faenza, Montopoli, San Miniato, Bologna, Mesola, and Florence. One-man exhibitions of works of his have been held in Florence, Paris, and San Miniato.